Site Feed



Thursday, March 09, 2006

American Idol 5: Bad Choice Dude, Bad Choice!

Urgh, thought I wasted $16 for a cab just to get home earlier and watch Elliott Yamin in action. I was kinda disappointed by his choice of song last night. But still, he sounded fabulous like he used to. The thing is that, the song did not match his vocal characteristic! Plus, he was put to perform as the second-last performer, so I could have taken a bus and saved $14 instead *sigh* (Sekar was right. Because of the wushu practice, I usually got home around 8:15 PM to 8:25 PM. But last night, I got home around 7:30 PM and she was surprised to see me home earlier than I used to. She told me that she is pretty sure they're gonna put him on the last round, and she was correct! What a psychic =p)

Okay, last night, he sang Bryan Adam's "Heaven". Never in my life have I appreciated that song. I never like "Heaven", especially the remake, techno, house-music version by D.J. Sammy (it made me hate that song even more!) The original song was actually a rock-ballad thing, and the characteristic of his voice is soul! It is a complete mismatch! Should I lend him my more than 2,900 MP3s collection so that he can get the idea which song to choose for the competition? The beginning of the song was okay, I think, since I always love his vibrato technique. But still, tsk, tsk, bad choice, bad choice. I have to agree with Simon Cowell. Notice how Simon said that he felt a disconnection between Elliott and the song. I think it's a polite way of saying, "I know you love "Heaven", but this song is not for you dude!" Right after that, you can see a look of disappointment on Elliott's eyes, and of course, what Simon says are always the truth, even if they sound so harsh. And as usual, the other judges, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul were sugarcoating opinions. I know that he didn't sound that bad (as a matter of fact, he still sounded fabulous last night), so that's why I pick him as my most favorite male contestant (and Mandisa Hundley as my most favorite female contestant). Okay, probably my opinion was kinda subjective cause I hate "Heaven" from the very beginning and I was shock to see him singing that song. But again, I completely understand his effort, trying to prove to America that he's a singer and that he can sing any kind of song (those on his league of course). But dude, stick to your genre, you should be singing soul, or smooth jazz songs. Some R&Bs or pop songs are acceptable. I think he should try some Eric Benet's songs (and I think he will sound fabulous if he sings Eric Benet's "Hurricane"! But I think the falsetto on some part of this song might be a bit problem to him. Probably he can actually reach the falsetto range, it's just that he never showed it. Can't wait to see what he'll do next week.) or some Craig David's songs (how about "Walking Away"? This song suits his voice perfectly, I can already imagine.).

And as the result, based on my subjective opinion, the top male goes to Taylor Hicks. I kinda have an interest in him, but I think he's style, stage act, makes him look more like a retard (notice how he kept bending and swinging his arm like a retard everytime he sings). But anyhow, it does make him a unique performer though. He's voice, he's style, everything about him is so unique and different. The second top male has to go to (sigh, Sekar's favorite because of his good look. This is not a beauty pageant you know =p) Ace Young. I've never given him any interest before since I think he's just an average singer, but last night, he sang one of my childhood idol's songs. He sang Michael Jackson's "Butterflies" and I have to admit that he has a fantastic falsetto! (most part of "Butterflies" was sung by Michael Jackson in falsetto too.) Too bad he just didn't do some of those Michael Jackson's moves or moonwalk =p (or probably he doesn't know how to do it.) Well AI lovers and my dear readers, below are the videos of the last night's top three male contestants, according to my opinion, ordered from the top first, Taylor Hicks, the second best, Ace Young, and sadly, actually my most favorite male contestant, on the third rank, Elliott Yamin. I hope he'll sing something in his own league on next week's competition. And like usual, don't forget to turn off the music played on the right section of this page. Enjoy.

1. Taylor Hicks "Taking It To The Streets".

2. Ace Young "Butterflies".

3. Elliott Yamin "Heaven".



    :: posted by Fari Nasution @ 9:42 AM :: :: ::


    Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan

    << Home



:: You're listening to my IMEEM Playlist ::






:: My Facebook Profile ::

Fari Nasution's Facebook Profile

:: World Map of Blog Visit ::

Locations of visitors to this page

My Random Journey and Passions

Powered by FeedBurner

:: Subscribe to This Blog ::
 
:: Blog Updates by Bot A Blog :: Powered by BotABlog

Powered by Google.com


World Wide Web
My Random Journey & Passions

:: Is my Blog HOT or NOT? ::


:: You are Visitor # ::