Site Feed



Friday, May 19, 2006

American Idol 5: Elliott Yamin

Source: Wikipedia.org

American Idol PhotoshotElliott Yamin (born Efraym Elliott Yamin on July 20, 1978) is an American singer who is best known for being the third place finalist on the fifth season of American Idol. Elliott (pronounced yah-meen) was born in Los Angeles, California to an Israeli Jewish father, Shaul Yamin (of Iraqi heritage) and a Jewish American mother, Claudette Goldberg. He began singing at the age of five and had no formal training. As a child, he suffered from allergies to grass and pollen. Yamin is 95% deaf in his right ear, which he mentioned in the third round of the semi-finals. When he was eleven years old, he moved to Richmond, Virginia and attended Tuckahoe Middle School. At the age of seventeen, Yamin was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and has to wear an insulin pump. He attended Douglas S. Freeman High School in the West End Richmond neighborhood until he left in his sophomore year. He went to work at Foot Locker and with the help of his employer, he eventually received his GED. He later worked with a jazz band, DJed for a radio station under the name "E-Dub", and worked at Westbury Pharmacy, a job he left to audition for American Idol. Elliott auditioned for American Idol in Boston (he originally considered auditioning in Memphis, Tennessee, but the audition was cancelled due to Hurricane Katrina). Elliott performed "A Song For You" (which he also later sang in the finals) and made it to Hollywood.

On the American Idol PerformanceYup, my most favorite contestant has been voted off on last Wednesday's AI elimination show (May 17, 2006). I can't believe how I have become so attached to this show, and particularly to this guy. I have never, ever before favored or idolized someone as much as I did to Michael Jackson when I was a kid. When I just started to watch AI this February 2006, I just thought I would just enjoy this show as it is "just" a talent show packed in a reality show. I've never watched this show before because of my evening classes when I was doing my MBA at the Univ. of Missouri - St. Louis, and I did not recognize this show back when I was in Indonesia. I first caught my eyes on Taylor Hicks (who still remains on the show and is predicted to be this season's American Idol replacing the currently reigning Carrie Underwood), but although he has a lot more charisma, I just thought that his stage act is kinda ridiculous. I still was not interested enough in this show (I even left the TV several times during the show) until I came accross this "ugly" guy who sang Stevie Wonder's "If You Really Love Me". I was completely stunned and amazed. I was like, whoooaaa, where did this guy come from? I don't remember seeing him on the Hollywood Round show. I started rooting for Elliott Yamin ever since. He got more of my attention when the following week, he sang James Moody's "Moody's Mood For Love", which is considered one of his best performances on the show. I really, really love his voice and the genres that he adapts, soul, R&B, and jazz; all of these are the only genres that I choose to listen to over and over again. This guy might have some ups and downs results during the show, but he remained strong until May 17, 2006. Guess the power of AI has finally metled me as I "kneel down on my knees" in front of this guy.

Paula Abdul, Elliott Yamin, and Randy Jackson After the May 17, 2006 Elimination ShowElliott's story is one of the perfect examples of the realization of the expression "reach for the stars no matter how high they are" or the famous proverb "shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars". Some have described him a perfect realization story of Cinderella. On a physical term, you should be able to notice his physical transformation on the top picture above, which was taken shortly after the Hollywood round when he made it to the top 24 back in February 2006, to the second picture above, which was taken during his latest performance, Tuesday, May 16, 2006. This shy guy, who only did karaoke performances and couple of gigs with a jazz band, has turned into a major international superstar, thanks to the power of AI. Before the show started, he was just an average high-school dropped out who worked as a pharmacy store clerk in Richmond. He admitted that he was "lost" before he joined the show. But now, look at him. His unfortunate background has contributed to how humble, sincerely nice, and emotionally kind he is. I'm not making this up, if you've been watching the show throughout this season, you would have clearly noticed the golden personality traits of this guy. An average guy who really loves his Mom, his family, and his friends. Even during the episode in which they showed clips of supports from families back in the contestants' respective hometowns, Elliott clearly mentioned that he missed his family and friends the most and emotionally cried after he watched the clips made especially for him (unlike other contestants who said they missed their hometowns' cookings.). But then, as the clock ticked off on May 17, 2006, Cinderella has to go home to Richmond.

Richmond Show #1Unlike one of the remaining contestants the other night, who said that she doesn't talk that much to her parents, live, on TV. I've been noticing the cocky attitude of Katharine McPhee lately, and this has turned me off as being a McPheever fan. Her body language whenever she receives comments from the AI judges and especially, her too early celebration of her victory over Elliott the other night clearly turn me off.Richmond Show #2: Elliott and His Girlfriend But most importantly, an idol should never say that he or she doesn't talk that much to his or her parents, live on TV. What kind of image is she trying to build up anyway? I am no longer a McPheever fan and now I'm rooting for Taylor Hicks to receive the "idol" crown for this season in an attempt to block Katharine's chance to get the crown (I will vote for Taylor next week, I will!)

Elliott YaminBut to me, the real idol is still Elliott Yamin. Not only because of his singing talent, but also because of his exceptionally kind nature (you should watch his AI Exit Interview. Really emotional and humble.) This funky white boy (nicknamed by AI judge Paula Abdul) is loved by everyone and if you watched the other night's show when they showed the clips of the contestants' parades in their respective hometowns, you would see how crazy the crowds were on Richmond. You could see how much he is loved by the citizens of Richmond. I was at Richmond on the same day (Friday, May 12, 2006) to take care of my academic matters (class registration and administrative matters) and to get a tour on my future apartment. I was planning to join the parade and watch him throw the first ball on the local baseball game, but the tickets were sold out and I couldn't bare the risk of getting lost in Richmond. At around 3:30 PM, after I went to VCU Graduate School of Business office, couple of the main streets/roads that lead to the downtown of Richmond were blocked, as if a President were planning to visit the city. I figured that I better went home although I kinda regret my decision at that time. But hey, if I move to Richmond this August, there might be a chance to see him, am I right? So why risking myself in a city that is still foreign to me?

Well, for the time being, I will miss his live performances. I just hope that he'll get a recording contract deal so I will be hearing more from him. I hope his story will end just like how Cinderella story ends. Good luck Elliott!



    :: posted by Fari Nasution @ 12:58 PM :: :: ::


    Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan

    << Home



:: You're listening to my IMEEM Playlist ::






:: My Facebook Profile ::

Fari Nasution's Facebook Profile

:: World Map of Blog Visit ::

Locations of visitors to this page

My Random Journey and Passions

Powered by FeedBurner

:: Subscribe to This Blog ::
 
:: Blog Updates by Bot A Blog :: Powered by BotABlog

Powered by Google.com


World Wide Web
My Random Journey & Passions

:: Is my Blog HOT or NOT? ::


:: You are Visitor # ::