Site Feed



Monday, November 01, 2004

Abo Dja Naunong Nasution?

My true name is actually Muhamad Faisal Fariduddin Attar Nasution. Many friends of mine have wondered why I use Abo Dja Naunong Nasution so often, instead of using my true name. This name is actually a result of combining two customs in Indonesia, Mandailing of North Sumatera and Bolaang Mongondow of North Sulawesi.

My Dad is a native of Mandailing, a south part of the North Sumatera. Although Mandailing is located in North Sumatera, the people are not part of the Batak clan which means I am actually not a Batak, but I am a Mandailing. The majority of the people in this region are Moslems (Islam is the religion), yet similar to other regions in Indonesia, customs and traditions play major roles in the society. I inherit the surname Nasution, since the custom has a strong patrilineal descent. The Mandailings who are Nasutions are believed to be descendants of Baroar, who was found as an infant in a jungle by Sultan Pulungan, a King of Huta Bargot of Mandailing-Godang. Other version says that the first Nasution was the son of King Iskandar Muda of Pagar Ruyong (the main region of the ancient kingdom of Minangkabau), who was the grandson of Sultan Iskandar, the Indonesian name of Alexander the Great. In his journey to conquer the land of Sumatera, Iskandar Muda had a relationship with a Bunian maid, who then gave birth to a son named Pulungan. The name Dja Naunong, was actually a title name of my late Grandfather, the Father of my Dad. It was said (no fact supports this, I only heard this from a relative of mine) that when I get married, I will actually inherit this title as I am the eldest son. My Dad is considered as the eldest son in the family since there is no news about his elder Brothers.

Although I inherit only one name from my Mother side, the more interesting story is actually from her side. The name Abo, is not actually a simple name; it is actually a Royal title bestowed to a male descendant of the Royal family of Bolaang Mongondow. Abo means Count, Duke, or Earl (it depends on the line of the heritage), while Bua means Lady, Countess, or Duchess. My Mother is a direct descendant, the granddaughter, of King Datu Cornelis of Manoppo and Bua Sahabi of Manoppo, Queen Consort of King Datu Cornelis. His Majesty was the only King in Bolaang Mongondow to ever rule under control of the Dutch colony. During this era, the first hospital was built in Kotamobagu (the capital city of Bolaang Mongondow) which marked the recognition of modern-medical treatment. The King enhanced the law and amandement of the region, educational system and built a large palace in Kotobangon (which was burnt to ashes during the unrest of Permesta in 1958). The marks of the enhancement of the educational system and religion were the new methods of agriculture, customs/traditions, wedding ceremony, funeral ceremony, housing/building erection, transportation management, communications, etc. The religion of the people of Bolaang Mongondow is Islam, which was brought by Syarif Aloewi in 1832. He introduced Islam to the King (the King at that time was Cornelius Manoppo) and the Royal family, and since then Islam was considered the Royal religion.

The Independence proclamation on August 17, 1945 at Jakarta marked the end of the monarchy in Bolaang Mongondow, uniting all regions/kingdoms in Indonesia in one political system and one central government based on Democracy, yet the sense of nobelity can still be felt until today; similar to other monarchies in Indonesia except, for instance, those in Yogyakarta and Solo under certain limitations. Although most of the time we (the descendants) are not exactly treated in special manners in Bolaang Mongondow, some locals (usually elders or those who recognize the history of the region pretty well) with no nobel title do talk in different tones, words, and gestures. However, only nobel elders with very high rank such as my Grandmother, an Aunt of my Mother (she is the last/former Duchess, the daughter of the last King before Bolaang Mongondow became part of Indonesia), are treated with high respect and are involved in many decision-making concerning the development of the region; the local Government of Indonesia in this region is always involved in discussion with these Nobels before doing any action. These high-rank Nobels still hold their own audiences, making their residences some sort of a small, unofficial court.

This story represents my feelings, how proud I am of my background, the history of my ancestors. Now you all know the meaning and the sense of those weird words that I combine in my nickname. Please excuse any mistake or misrepresentation of the facts above. I welcome any correction.


Sources (all are in Bahasa Indonesia):
- Horas Mandailing
- Putra Tatobuan Online


    :: posted by Fari Nasution @ 4:11 AM :: :: ::


    Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan

    << Home



:: You're listening to my IMEEM Playlist ::






:: My Facebook Profile ::

Fari Nasution's Facebook Profile

:: World Map of Blog Visit ::

Locations of visitors to this page

My Random Journey and Passions

Powered by FeedBurner

:: Subscribe to This Blog ::
 
:: Blog Updates by Bot A Blog :: Powered by BotABlog

Powered by Google.com


World Wide Web
My Random Journey & Passions

:: Is my Blog HOT or NOT? ::


:: You are Visitor # ::